Friday, April 21, 2006

My arctic boots


THE thing to be wearing on the ice this spring...
I got them today at an ex-army place and apparently they are good down to -70 degrees. It was a slightly scarey shop. They were selling parachutes too and I thought about getting you one Dad but they were a bit bulky.

Now I have;
3 prs socks - thin pair, medium pair and hugely thick pair
long johns
fleece trousers
snowboarding trousers
3 fleeces - 2 thin, 1 very fat
2 hats that go on top of each other, a baseball hat for the sun and 2 hoods
3 prs gloves - thin, medium + fat pair
snowboarding jacket
balaclava
glacier glasses with bits at the side so I don't get snow blindness
total sunblock without water in so it doesn't make my face freeze. You have to put it underneath your nose especially because sun gets reflected off the snow.

I hope it's enough. Going to Barrow tomorrow and will hopefully meet the whaling captains on Saturday. Last I heard the weather was so unpredictable they were having difficulty cutting the usual path through the ice rubble to the edge of the sea ice where they set up whaling camp. Don't know if I'll have access to a computer in Barrow. Met a nice inuit lady today who was telling me about the importance of the raven. The raven is responsible for bringing the dark and the light.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ice Fairy said...

You can borrow them when I get back! xx

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home