Friday, April 28, 2006

Tofu! Yippee!!

Managed to go a whole day without eating meat. Bought two huge blocks of cheese to take whaling after panicking when I saw the shopping list that Eli put together. I've copied and pasted it especially for you Elena.

Whaling Shopping List

Chicken for both soup and fried
Pork Chops
Pork Loin Chops
Hamburger Meat 3-3lbs
Oxtail Meat
2 Pks Tyson Chicken Wings
Eggs
Bacon
Sausage
Spam
Ham
Seasoning Salt
Butter
Macaroni
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
Tomato Soup
Tobasco
Taco Shells
4 Cans Clams
Carnation Milk
Sloppy Joe Sauce
Syrup
Bread
Vinegar
Soy Sauce
Garlic Powder
Lettuce
Celery
Green Peppers
Tomatoes
Jalepenos.
Potatoes
Carrots
Potato Buds
Cinnamon
Onions
Raisins
Flour
Yeast

Eli is one of Julia's three sons who's about 30 and wants to be a chef and live in Hawaii. I'm really glad he is coming whaling. He's going to do the cooking and he says it's ok if I don't want to eat meat all the time and I won't fall in and other reassuring things. This evening Chico took pity and took me to a restaurant that had tofu. He said he was impressed by my 'going outside my comfort zone' but then started on the near death stories about falling in the sea in the antarctic and down crevaces etc etc. He doesn't seem to have a comfort zone. But he has promised to come and rescue me if I ring him in distress on the sat phone. We went to look for polar bears but didn't see any. Am getting to know Julia a bit. She is an incredible lady. Legendary Carl has turned into a legendary Craig and I think I know where to find him. Going to bed because I have to get up early to film Eli making donuts and to eat all the spare ones.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, no quinoa or salady thing in sight!! Did you ever realise that you would be setting out on a culinary adventure when you headed for the ice!!!
I sugest you collate the recipes and think up a vege version so that we can have a vegetarian whalers guide being printed by Penguin next.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home