Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Multiyear Ice



I understand the deal with this now. It is ice that has survived the summer melt for one or more years and built up layers. It hasn't necessarily come off a glacier.


I met some scientists who explained it all and said it's now very rare. There isn't much multiyear ice floating around any more. This is what the arctic used to be like. So this year is very unusual and I am very lucky to have seen it. Now most years you just get first year ice which is much thinner and is salt water because the salt hasn't drained out of it. The ice seems to be thinning every year. Polar bears like multiyear ice for denning in (making a hole and having cubs).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Doreen, what a fantastic blog and what an amazing trip. Now I've found your blog I'll be back regularly to find out what you're up to.
Keep safe.
Linda Duffin

2:09 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I just learned something that I hope I can remember. Multiyear ice. Multiyear ice. Multiyear ice.

Thanks.

Did you ever report on the goose hunt? I can't seem to find anything.
..

4:27 AM  
Blogger slummy mummy said...

honey, are you still planning to come back next week ? if you are then my offer of coming to collect you at gatwick still stands x x x

12:22 PM  
Blogger Ice Fairy said...

You're welcome to the non-personal pictures Jim. Really glad you're enjoying it. I didn't get any geese ahem. Not sure I'm a very good hunter although I'm getting better at cards. See you soon Linda! xxx

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home